|Look inside for more about the History of Station Road Portslade||
1.Cornucopia: Horn of plenty.
3.Six Sussex Martlets
4. Oak Branch: Strength.
Station Road Portslade has been a shopping area since around the 1930's, before then it was a very tranquil high class residential area. The original shopping area was in North Road Portslade, which is now Industrial.
Portslade-by- sea has its own crest, which was designed in 1920 by P J W Barker. He owned the drug store and the tobacconist's at 110/112 Trafalgar Road, Portslade.
The Motto means 'Health and Strength'. The Roman Galley, Cornucopia, Six Sussex Martlets, Grapes and an Oak Branch all signify what Portslade was known for.
Station Road has altered dramatically over the last hundred years or so. In 1884 it was called Aldrington Drove, as it was the furthest west of Aldrington. Before that it was known as Aldrington Lane or Red House Drove Way, which suggests it was maybe named after Red House Farm further south past Franklin Road. By 1890 it was called Station Road.
On 7 August 1895 there was a local Inquiry at Hove Town Hall, which defined the Boundary between Aldrington and Portslade as running down the centre of Station Road. Station Road was first mentioned in the Directories in 1896. The roads were untarred, in those days; they were dirty and dusty and had to be watered down regularly. The horse and carriages caused most of the dust. That was the only form of transport at the time. However, there was always a debate over which Council took responsibility - Hove or Portslade? It would not cause a problem today, as Brighton and Hove have amalgamated, which includes Portslade.
However as Aldrington is part of Hove, there was some confusion with the name Station Road, as the Station was known as Portslade Station not Hove, so why was the Hove side (East) called Station Road. In 1903 it was changed to Boundary Road, Hove. Portslade continued with the name Station Road, Portslade, which is on the right side (West) going southwards, and continues to this day with the boundary of Hove and Portslade still running down the centre of the road, although the Station has been renamed Portslade and West Hove. It could officially be known as Station Road now, except the east side would have to have the town as Hove, and the west side as Portslade. People would then think that there was two Station Roads, one in each town. Thus better left as it is.
For many years Portslade was the most important parish locally. The Nineteenth Century tipped the balance and Hove began to expand rapidly.
The houses adjacent to the 'Railway Inn' in 1900, originally called 'Courtney Terrace' have now been pulled down and the pavements widened to create a parade of shops.
Before Station Road turned into a shopping area, it was a high class residential area. The residents were gradually moving out and businesses were slowly moving in.